View Single Post
Old 2012-01-27, 12:42   Link #51
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Well, Guilty Crown is not a bad show because of the subject matter. It is a bad show because it's poorly written, and the characters are all stupid. I don't think that homosexuality as a subject can make something automatically bad. Like all other themes and relationships, it is all about how it is handled. Again, I don't know if Apollon actually has homosexual themes or not, but to write something off because it might have a homosexual theme just seems silly to me.

As for the show itself, from what I gathered on the official site based on the trailer and the comments from the staff and the introduction to the series and the story, I think there's a lot of potential here. Watanabe is a very talented director especially when it comes to fusing music with storytelling. Kanno is an excellent composer who has worked with Watanabe in the past and knows his tastes and needs. The story in Apollon is about a two high school students in 1966 who find a mutual passion in Jazz music, and they express their feelings through performing the music that they love. It seems like a very interesting concept which fits the strengths of the director and composer extremely well.

There's quite a bit of attention to detail in terms of how they want to handle this series musically as well. In the story the two main characters play different instruments. One plays the piano while the other plays drums. Kanno has actually put together two real young Japanese performers to handle the music scenes for the show. Takashi Matsunaga performs the piano sequences, while Shun Ishikawa performs the sequences for the drums. The show will contain performances from the main characters in various episodes, and they will be based on actual Jazz songs which were popular back in the 60s.

I definitely think there's a lot of potential for a very fulfilling and emotionally satisfying series about young people and their passion for the arts here. I really hope people don't dismiss interesting new titles simple because of silly things like how a boy might have feelings for another boy.

Those interested can check out youtube performances I found by the two guys selected to perform the music scenes in the series:

Takashi Matsunaga (Piano): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncxMpAzUKc8
Shun Ishikawa (Drums): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bZaRFpIpfU

Takashi Matsunaga is a talented young Jazz pianist who made his debut at the age of 17. He is now 25 years old. Shun Ishikawa is a 19 year old Jazz drummer in Japan. They were both selected for their talent and also to showcase the musical talent of a younger generation.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote