View Single Post
Old 2010-09-29, 09:39   Link #35
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
There's a fundamental difference though: In this case, Youtube themselves decide to make content available or not - which is perfectly fine in my opinion. We were talking about sites like public torrent trackers or Rapidshare/Megaupload that have no interest to do self-censoring.
You cannot connect to these sites without your ISP.

Quote:
They're called Geotargeting databases. You feed an IP in and get a (presumed) location back.
Or WHOIS databases, it doesn't matter... fact is, that this information is already used for filtering.

Quote:
There's a difference between self-restricting yourself, and having a government agency force policies on you against your will. And in the internet, you'll always have webhosters who will provide net access or servers to you.
That reminds me of the suppliers of electric energy in Germany. Technically there is a market where energy could be brokered in fair conditions for the end user. But since the providers became too big and too few, they can dictate the prices. I am not so optimistic that internet cartels can be prevented on the long run. The internet infrastructure is very expensive (especially the last mile - ISP) and therefore a target for big money business.