View Single Post
Old 2012-11-12, 20:29   Link #89
Metaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I agree that one shouldn't watch a show and assume it's dead on arrival but I can't really approach anything like that. Focusing on only the good and simple seems to me like turning off one's brain, and to me, entertainment can't work like that.

Going into a show refusing to change your mind that a show can be good and thinking it must be bad is also turning off your brain. Thus a lot of haters are just as dumb. (except me- duh! ).There is no reason to watch a series week after week for 53 episodes just to repeat the same thing over.The same goes the other around, and I'd rather not commit to either.
I'm not saying that you should just look at the positive aspects. Just saying you should give them more credit. My post goes specifically to those who are too cynical to do that.

Think of it like dating: if you observe only the negative aspects of your partner, you'll probably get dumped. Similarly, if you only look at the positive characteristics, then you'll end up losing sight of reality, and you'll idolize your partner to the point where they won't be able to shoulder all the praise... And you'll get dumped too.

So there must be a balance. By acknowledging both good things and bad things we will be able to enjoy fictional works to their fullest.

Just remember: be true to yourself. Don't start disliking something just because someone who seems more intelligent than you says it's bad and you're an idiot for liking it. When this happens, just do it like The Dude.