Thread: Wangan Midnight
View Single Post
Old 2007-11-04, 22:14   Link #203
NghtFox17

ya, they should catch up with the series soon, hopefully.... that is if they dont' drop the project like everyone else has. Granted the story seems to be more "intresting" than Initial D, mainly because the story is told better (IMO). It doesn't seem to be a whole lot of (street) Racing Anime in the frist place, and doesn't seem to have a whole lot of demand, espically in compairson to many of the other genre of Anime out there.

as Virtue has pointed out about more realistic damage being involved in Wangan Midnight, in compairson to Intial D. in Initial D, no one ever died, and damage to the cars was minor (except for a few eps) the red Civic from 1st Stage, the Miata from the first two eps of 4th stage, but even then the damage wasn't real as Wangan Midnight. I drive a Miata (Roadster) and if you rolled that sucker, the only thing left (up) would be the roll bar. if he had rolled a Miata in real life, the door probably would have a hard time opening and all the windows would have been smashed out. I have seen too many rolled Miatas, at junkyards, and on pics in forums, that have been rolled (not a pretty site).

Another thing about Initial D thou, in the defense of 4th stage, the story wasn't really the impasis of 4th stage and it was expected to be as such (after finishing 3rd stage). after Takumi graduated, most of all the character development (except for a little with Kieskie(sp) and Iski(sp)- Takumi's best friend)) they pretty much have no real character development or interaction. ID4 is pretty much "busniess only for Project D".

Another clairification, Initial D (espically 4th stage) overall is more conserned with tuning for a specific course, and suspension, brakes etc. while Wangan Midnight is more focused with tuning to increase Horsepower, stiffing the Chassie to handle horsepower (as mentioned in Ep3 i think it was)

although Initial D does have loads more drifting, mountian racing (Togue) is where the Drifting sport was pioneered, so naturally it will have alot of drifting. I think overall, if Wangan Midnight Manga or Anime gets liscensed over here in the States, it will do better than Intial D, mainly for the car selection and variety (European exotics), and the higher horsepower vehicles doing 220kph-300kph, in compairson to the 140kph(approx.) top speeds in Initial D.
NghtFox17 is offline   Reply With Quote