Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-02-12, 22:25   Link #6069
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
3 Killed in Alabama Uni Shooting
Quote:
(CNN) -- Three faculty members were killed and three other school employees were wounded Friday in a shooting at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, a city official said.

A female shooting suspect was in custody and a second person was detained, "not arrested," spokesman Ray Garner told reporters.

Of the six casualties, five were faculty members, and the sixth was a staff member; no students were among the victims, Willis said.
I'd usually roll my eyes at this point but, however, what is bugging me are what some of the comments are saying...
Quote:
Always a reminder to me (personally) that having an education at a prestigious college isn't everything.
I do find it ironic, though that her field was neuroscience as stress begins in the brain.
This was a Harvard trained scientist. she was denied tenure.
Quote:
Tenure is the root cause of all evil in academics. I've got my Ph.D. and I deliberately didn't pursue career in academics. I've seen tenure being abused big time first hand (just see all the Asian Ph.D students being driven to work like dogs while the Profs conveniently put their own names first on the papers). When the rest of the world is being held accountable for their work - so should faculty. Tenure is an old fashioned school of thought that doesn't apply in today's world - in the 1600s to 1800s, because there very few who studied "philosophy", yes - but not today. Its high time they get rid of all the faculty over 60 years.
Quote:
I would rather wish she has gone for the Campus President than the students. It is those faculty members who are messy and tearing the campus.

what confuses me is how a PHD from HARVARD who was crazy smart failed at critical thinking.... of all the people to shoot, how would opening fire on innocent colleagues help her situation? she could have gone for the campus president and his stupid budget cuts, tearing our campus apart!!
Now aside from my usual 'they really need to update that near 300 year old amendment of 'right to bear arms', when there was actually a civil war happening at the time,
what's snagging my attention as questions are:
1: What is tenure? (In simpletons terms, in addition to the info that I already quoted)
2: Why are people actually trying to justify murder on the the campus president or faculty members?
3: What situation is the education system there in regards to tenure/budgets/faculty members, that drives some students to feeling that they gotta end a few lives via their disappointment?

It's another American upper education 101 lesson needed here, anyone care to share light?
(Not that I'm looking at your way at all Vexx...) *coughs*

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia