View Single Post
Old 2013-01-11, 16:53   Link #6
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
1. Does Justice exist?
Yes. Justice is about people being held accountable for their words and actions, and receiving proper thanks or punishment for them, depending on the nature of those words and actions.

We tend to focus on the punitive side of justice, of course, but there's also justice in a person receiving proper recognition, thanks, or even material compensation for going above and beyond in helping others.

I can think of some situations where justice was done, at least in my opinion. So yes, I think that justice exists.

Quote:
3. Does Fairness exist?
When it comes to direct competition, yes.

In everyday life, not really. Perfect equality does not exist, and it very likely will never exist.

Quote:
4. What is Fairness?
In competitions, it means that the rules are applied equally to all and that everybody follows the rules and/or are caught when they break the rules and pay a reasonable price for it.

In everyday life, Don is right. Equal outcomes for equal action/effort.

Quote:
5. Can Justice be Fair?
In a practical sense, this would mean "Equality before the Law". And I think that humanity has grown steadily closer to this ideal over our long history. But we're probably not quite there yet. I think we'll get there eventually, or at least close enough for justice to be reasonably fair.

Quote:
6. Should Justice be Fair?
As much as is possible.