View Single Post
Old 2010-10-17, 21:25   Link #106
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosprophet View Post
Chapter 4 was awesome! With what I read of the manga plus the novel summaries I read I had an idea of what was going to happen there. Even so it was much better than I expect. I really love novels and all the amount of detail you cna have on them. An being able to see Kyousuke's POV is really great.

They released first chapter in December 25 of last year and chapter 4 in October 16. So thats almost 10 months and that's not even counting how long they took for ch 1 as I don't know when they started it. And then between ch 3 and 4 there was a gap of around 6 months. So it seems to be slow lately for me, even novel wise.

Of course, it wasn't my intention to word it as a complain. I was only trying to answer the question in a realistic manner (and i even said seems so as I only know the day they decide to release every chapter). I'm really glad someone is doing it. I have an idea how hard and tiring should be to translate a novel. They're expending their free time, that nowdays tend to be short for many people, and doing it for free so other fans can enjoy.
Ok I see. I didn't really track their progress dates. But like I mentioned, it was somewhere in their blog that the chapters were done just waiting for editing. Translating a novel can indeed be time-draining. For Westerner translators especially, their archille's heel is normally kanji, and if the furigana is not there, they often have to spend loads of time to do a multiple-radical search for each and every kanji. For translators belonging to the non-native English speakers with Chinese origins in the East (China, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia), recognizing kanji quickly is not a problem but converting to natural English is. Though I'll prefer 20 slow translators who can do a chapter in 6 months each rather than 1 fast translator who can do a volume in a month (I only know of two or three such people though). Hopefully, more people are willing to contribute little by little in future, and see it as means to improve their Japanese.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote