View Single Post
Old 2009-05-19, 09:21   Link #53
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
Wrong, ever heard of a family complex? IF he supposively gets way too into it, my parents will undoubtedly blame me as the cause. (When really they just constantly feed him even more to his gaming addiction). I found that the school psychologist/social workers were utterly incompetent upon meeting them, so I was thinking about a psychiatrist. But then again, his disobedience will probably cause him not to attend meetings or so. I found that violence is never the answer when dealing with another person, I simply cannot make the justification to actually beat my brother to a pulp knocking some sense into him. Violence only promotes his stressful behavorial problems.

~I am so disappointed at how people can be addicted to video games. I really have not gone to that phase, I spent most of time just reading manga and books and indulging in the arts. While my brother shows no interests in the fine arts, he enjoys picking up airsoft guns and firing at long distances with his friends.
I understand your concerns. But seriously listen to me. I think you need to back off. For a little while at least.

It's very hard, but sometimes the best thing to do is to do nothing.

My family often think I'm some kind of miracle worker in patching up disputes and getting people to stop doing stupid things. I don't feel that way about myself, I really don't know what I'm doing most of the time.

I can only say that usually (not always, but usually) when presented with an issue like the one your brother has with games, my response is to do nothing.

Doesn't mean I ignore the problem. It means I wait for the opportune moment to express my concerns, and give advice and instruction. I don't try the frontal assault "you will pay attention to me now" approach. (I reserve that for when I think somebody is doing something acute that is going to be an immediate disaster- a chronic problem like gaming addiction is not the same).

As for the comment by someone about involving Child Services. I completely and utterly oppose that. CS is for physical, sexual abuse, or neglect like not providing a child with food. A gaming addiction is not sufficient justification to involve them. To do so would be like destroying the village to save the village.

This issue needs to be handled by family and friends and patiently.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote