View Single Post
Old 2011-02-09, 22:05   Link #141
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Depends on how you see magic as working, which I think is what Tiresias was talking about.

If you see magic as "creating specified effects which interact with the physical laws in specific ways," then yes, it's a short leap of logic. If you have the power to create bricks out of thin air, then you can, say, create a brick ten feet over somebody's head and have it drop on them. You can do anything useful you want with a brick.

On the other hand, if you see magic as "manifesting the intent of the caster in a specific way," then all bets are off. This results in things like being able to create a wall of stone...but only if it has a supporting surface to stand on. Or to shoot beams of magical energy...which only hurt people and not physical objects. Or teleportation which requires there to be a survivable landing spot for whatever you're teleporting (so no tossing people into the sun, sorry, Yuuno). The classic RPG player's problem: "Why can't I do XYZ with this spell?" "The spell doesn't work that way." "Why?" "Go ask Gary Gygax; I didn't write this description."

Since MGLN goes a long way to show us stuff blowing up and very little way to explain the rules and laws of how magic really works in the 'verse, we don't get to have "hard" answers to those questions. Instead we get theories and guesswork.