View Single Post
Old 2011-04-05, 11:25   Link #1065
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Unless the translators failed (and they have certainly done so a number of times so I am totally not dismissing it), QB has one clear act of outright lying when he told Kyoko she could possibly save Sayako as shown when QB then talks with Homura after the fact and laughs about how silly Kyoko was for believing him because "of course that wasn't possible".
He honestly didn't know. He's smart, and able to adjust his plans on the fly, but he isn't omnipotent. Somewhere buried in this thread I said Kyubey was operating a Xanatos Gambit. I wasn't kidding. If Sayaka could be revived, that's just another opportunity for her to fall and harvest her energy again. It doesn't matter if a Witch can be brought back or not, as long as Kyubey can eventually find an opportunity for Madoka to contract.....and then it won't matter anymore.

His statement "of course that wasn't possible" is simply confirmation bias. You have a theory that a coin will land face up. You toss it, and it does. Theory confirmed....technically. It's rather unscientific however, because it ignores what could happen when you invoke sample size and strings of attempts. Just because it happened once, does not mean it will always happen. It also ignores other variables, for example what if Kamijou was the one trying to reach Sayaka instead of Madoka?

If anything, it should be surprising that someone like Kyubey would dismiss the possibility so readily, however he also seems to be surprised at a number of other things in the show, like Madoka's potential and Homura's time travel abilities. If there's one point in the show that demonstrates to me that he didn't create the Magical Girl system, but merely subverted it, it's his conversation with Kyouko and his reply to Homura in episode 9. He may know some things about it, but he doesn't know everything. He only knows enough to manipulate it for his own gain, but he's confident that his manipulations will prevent the girls from figuring out and defeating his plans before it is too late.

I sometimes wonder if his "we have no emotions" statement is yet another lie. Hell, his whole "entropy" speech screams bullshit, imo.