Thread: Anime Elitists?
View Single Post
Old 2003-11-16, 08:28   Link #3
Keops
Pixel artist

I think that people are missing a lot by watching the censored/edited series on most television networks. Here in Venezuela this is less evident (we had once both Saint Seiya and Rurouni Kenshin completely uncut on TV) but now some series (like Inuyasha) have been edited when shown on Cartoon Network.

Sure, watching one of those "slaughtered" series on mainstream TV may be kinda good and serve as an introduction to a horde of new people... However, I think that, if they then become fans they should know the truth. With this I'm not saying anyone should discourage people to watch anime on TV, but at least, when they become interested enough, they should learn about the world of fansubs, legal anime video releases, the uncensored version of the series etc. Think of this edited series as a "light" anime treat or as something like an anime "starter pack". However, the true fan, the one who already knows should avoid this, since it's most probable he's missing a lot from the original content...

Those are my 2 cents... See you on the boards.