View Single Post
Old 2007-07-21, 12:58   Link #182
retardation
phantom loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Actually, the U.S. doesn't pay all that much attention to other countries. American news broadcasts don't bring up world news stories very much - barring special reports, they would make up about five minutes of a typical news hour. I've seen NHK news broadcasts, and they're not all that much better. Japanese people don't really concern themselves all that much about the rest of Asia at all.

I'm not a cultural anthropologist, but it's likely linked to the conflict between cultural chauvinism and inferiority complex. As Vexx pointed out earlier, Japanese people entertain quite a few myths about how unique they are; at the same time, they're also strong enough realists that they know that other countries are more successful in many respects. It seems a natural progression from this to wanting to emulate this success.

It's no more difficult to understand than white people wearing urban clothing popularized by black entertainers or Chinese character tattoos.

Que? Japan, of all countries, most certainly doesn't turn up their nose at the U.S. In fact, most Japanese like and are fascinated by all things American. Moreover, the U.S. is Japan's closest (and in a way, only) ally, so there's quite a bit of common interest involved. I'm not sure why you'd think otherwise.

As for the rest,
1. Not all countries like American goods. This is especially true of the more developed countries - witness the spectacular failure of Wal-Mart's attempt to penetrate Germany's market.
2. While the U.S. has always generated a bit of animosity due to its overwhelming power, most of the dislike is caused by American actions. And this isn't restricted to developed countries at all. Note that for similar reasons, in the late '80s, there was a certain amount of dislike, by Americans, of Japan's seeming economic powerhouse status.
3. Most of the world's current dislike for American policies can be directly attributed to the U.S.'s hamfisted adventures post-2001.
i wasn't saying japan turns their noses to america but canada and many of the european countries seem to have that attitude (even far predating 2001 and often having nothing to do with american foreign policy actions other than the cultural encroachment that american trade dominance leads to). that was just something i brought up to further explain why i thought japan was peculiar. your example of america not being welcoming of japan further shows the point i'm trying to make about japan being odd.

and not all countries like all american goods but generally it's still a pretty accurate statement. like i'm sure most of those germans who went to their local german retailers instead of walmart were still purchasing a lot of nike, coke, apple, american music (david hasselhof lol), and so on.

and see the thing is urban clothing becoming popular are easy for me to understand because i'm from north america and see the factors that lead up to these things getting popular. i'm not from japan so i wouldn't know what it is that makes america so popular. actually i don't even know that much about the chinese tats. i have some hypotheses though. america is the lead trading partner of a lot of countries but as said above, the countries are not that high on american-ness. even bringing back up wal-mart in germany or starbucks in china... a lot of the failure of those sorts of things has to do with the balance of the nation rejecting 'americanness' over wanting efficient product.

like indian stuff when it was popular in america the 60's and 70's and afterward is probably related to third world nationalism, postwar nihilism leading to a rejection of western values and all that jazz. it's not really something obvious like you're making it out to be.

Last edited by retardation; 2007-07-21 at 13:22.
retardation is offline   Reply With Quote