View Single Post
Old 2008-09-10, 09:21   Link #1480
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
When suspension of disbelief is applied to analysis, the disbelief that is being suspended is that this is all fiction. In other words, we assume everything we see are sources not of a fictional, but of a real event. In stripping the ability to appeal to author's intent (which is almost always used only when the evidence turns unfavorably) you leave a lot less room for subjective interpretation. Instead, we'll analyze it scientifically, and this provides the opportunity for one single answer to the problem.
In other words, you take all the fun out of talking about the series by demanding that everyone do so in scientific terms. Thanks but I'll pass on that one.

Quote:
Probably a matter of vortexes. As for Auto Barriers, again, you hear a word, and you immediately think it has no limits. Without quantification, even a cotton shirt qualifies as protection.
Cotton shirts can't be expected to provide any degree of protection in an auto accident, much less a motorcycle accident. Teana obviously expects her barrier to do its' job and protect her from serious injury, and her in-universe knowledge of the workings of barriers obviously exceeds our out-of-universe knowledge on the same subject; Tea's gone through combat school, where we, on the other hand, are trying to deduce the workings of a barrier by mere visual observation. I'll take Teana's word that the barrier will work over any viewer's insistence that it won't. Yours included, "Professor".

Quote:
See answers in all previous debates. In fact, we saw how limited the protection is.
I'd hardly call Strength of Plot to be "limited" by any stretch of the imagination.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.