View Single Post
Old 2012-09-13, 17:31   Link #497
Warm Mist

I'm not sure if you know the accepted definition of "premise".

Madoka's premise was "A girl is turned magical by a furfag"
S;G's premise is "Some guys invent a time machine in their spare time and find out about a conspiracy"
F/Z is something along the lines of "There is a tournament held every X years where mages fight. See the fight of two particular guys"

That alone is not important, and does not change anything by itself. The shows need to have endearing or interesting characters, a good pace, world-building of some sort, strong climatic scenes, a coherent narrative or if it lacks coherency, an overwhelmingly emotional narrative. There are some more arcane ways a show can be well regarded popularly or critically, but that's the gist of it.

In my case, I think what separates similar shows is the technical execution- that is, the direction, animation, and script nuances. The premise, plot outline or underlying message are the least relevant factors when deciding the perceived quality or enjoyment of a show.

This is why I'm somewhat looking forward to this show; Kyoani has shown that they can take simple, irrelevant premises and make something ten times better out of it. Ishihara is also creative with humour, and the experience of Nichijou probably served to improve his comedic timing (I hope). And most of all, the studio shines when it comes to doing emotional scenes, and if this show is going to have an "end" of sorts, I expect some climax to occur.

Just because it has a chuuni heroine and is a romantic comedy isn't reason enough to get someone bashing or praising this, hence the premise is unimportant.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote