View Single Post
Old 2012-11-07, 15:35   Link #2762
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Chiibi, with all due respect: I'm a practicing German catholic, and for me, the GOP would be completely unelectable. In my understanding, the core teaching of Christ is the grace of charity. Love thy neighbor. Care for the needy. Do not seek worldly riches. What did Christ do with sinners and whores? He didn't condemn them and demanded them cast out and punished, he sat with them. This is the exact opposite of what the GOP tries to do.

I can't take a political party seriously as "Christian" that on one hand dogmatically declares abortion a crime and mortal sin, yet at the same time openly advocates starting wars of aggression.

I can't take a political party seriously as "Christian" that openly advocates the use of torture.

I can't take a political party seriously as "Christian" that openly rejects the principle of welfare and helping the needy.

Hell, even the US Conference of American Catholic Bishops explicitly lamented that Ryan's plans were incompatible with Christian teachings.

Do you seriously believe that if Jesus were to be born into our modern times, he would find the GOP to be of his kind? I sure don't. How can you resolve all these contradictions?
I'm a Christian, too (I go to a Catholic church but am currently a non-denominational Christian), and I just can't support the GOP of today.