View Single Post
Old 2012-10-03, 21:41   Link #54
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I think people overestimate the materialism of our society. Certainly if you look at Tweenagers you'll get a vain consuming lot, but you know what? Tweens are idiots. Most people get fairly grounded once they have to pay their bills. That's not to say there isn't obscene consumption out there, but you know I think you'll find similar analogues in tribal societies (for instance in tribal societies men will compete to get the best exotic bird feathers to decorate their headresses. Ultimately, not too different from a Lamborghini).

Anyway, I think there's a very simple way to show how far we've come as a civilization since the days we were tribal. And that's to look at how long people live, and for what reasons people die. Now, contrary to popular belief, tribal peoples actually can live a long time. Go into any village and you'll usually see a few 60 or 70 year olds. But most tribal peoples die young. And the leading cause of death is Homicide. Other leading causes of death include animals, food poisoning, starvation, childbirth and fires.

Compare that to our own civilization, where the leading causes of death are all diseases largely related to old age. We've managed to tame our environment such that it won't kill us. And even more then that, but we have managed to devise a social system that allows millions of us to coexist without killing each other over every small dispute (which is a frequent occurence in tribes, that and might makes right in intergroup relations). That alone is a reason why modern society is great. That's not to say no killings exist, but most of us expect to live to a ripe old age. The traditional wish of "long life" seems a bit redundant.

Add to that such great achievements as myself in Ireland being able to directly communicate with a person in Singapore, and I think we can only say that we haven't ever had it so good. Even most of the poorest parts of the world are better off then at any other point in history.

I believe that things are only set to get better. But if things get worse, people will look back on this time as a golden age.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote