View Single Post
Old 2012-12-04, 16:46   Link #70
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm View Post
Should we assume that Shiina has simply been given the gift of painting by Zevs? All things say that she has been practicing relentlessly year after year, with obsession most people cannot even imagine. This is how she came about her greatness. If she does the same with manga, would she not be able to touch the lives of millions through her art as a mangaka? Do we not think that passion will once again bring greatness? Talent is overrated. Passion is underrated.
Sorata doesn't strike me as a guy with a genre/medium preference for paintings over manga. Rita probably does have that preference, but I doubt that Sorata does.

And Sorata seems to think that Shiina's paintings are on an entirely different level than Shiina's manga. If not, then I'd expect him to say "Shiina's paintings are awesome, but so is her manga. So why does it matter which one she does?"

Also, Shiina is getting a lot of help on her manga from Sorata. I don't think it comes as naturally to her as painting does.

Could that change over time? Maybe, but I have my doubts.

I would generally put passion over talent until we get to the very top of the talent pyramid. That's where talent really is an overwhelming factor - When you get to the Jordans, the Gretzkys, the Ruths, the Picassos, the Shakespeares. These people just "get" their particular field of talent in this breathtaking way that gives them a massive leg-up on the competition. I think this anime is arguing that Shiina is on that level when it comes to painting... but she's not when it comes to manga.