Thread: Licensed The Breaker
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-08, 11:39   Link #2994
KLGChaos
The Shermain

My thoughts on the chapter:

Wasn't a fan of the flashback. Not because I have a problem with there being another disciple, but because it really came out of ledt field. You have this guy that came out of nowhere a few chapters ago and suddenly he's another disciple. There was no build up to it so it felt kind of forced in, especially for such a big plot point. Now, realistically someone like this could come out of nowhere... But when telling a story, you have to be careful of abrupt revelations with no background or build up, as it can make things disjointed, especially when the character isn't at all established and just appears out of nowhere. It'd be like Darth Vader suddenly appearing mid-way through Empire Strike Back and attacking Luke... Then mid-way through the battle he announces that he's his father out of the blue. People would just be like "Who the Hell is this guy?"

That's pretty much the feeling I got from the flashback. For such a large reveal, it needed more build up and the character should have been established first.