View Single Post
Old 2012-09-13, 11:15   Link #579
zRichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
Also, I don't mean to imply the side stories are pointless, I argue they are misplaced.
The misplaced side story is true and it's a problem with the source material.

Luckily, anime watchers will eventually understand why this adaptation couldn't have worked in any other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Tracking Skill: Nothing suggested that Kirito didn't use it once he got on higher ground.
Regen: Explained by DPS concept.
EP2's Death: Also explained by DPS and the Heal Over Time nature of most health potion of most MMORPGs. They were at the first floor, the potion Kirito had on him must have been a low-grade potion that would not recover the player instantly as the high tier potion that Asuna used in this episode.
Sleep PK/Friend List/Durability: All of them are small game mechanics, of which I'm absolutely sure that the anime is showing a very minuscule fraction of the ones that may exist in SAO (or in your average videogame).

I think people familiar with MMORPG gameplay will have an easier time with these "no tell nor show" game-mechanics moments. I think SAO does a very good job at portraying them.

Even for the mystery arc, that I watch with no LN knowledge, I was juggling around the idea that the first victim used a skill that had an animation similar to that of a death. I wouldn't have imagined that if it weren't for my familiarity to MMORPGs mechanics.
zRichard is offline   Reply With Quote