Thread: Licensed Katanagatari
View Single Post
Old 2010-03-22, 16:23   Link #852
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
It's not "cold-blooded". I'm assuming you're referencing the fact that he said he killed his father. That's not interesting in the least, because as I said, as far as the show's been presenting him he's just a stupid jungle boy. Even if he has a "dark" past the outcome on his development is completely uninteresting.
It's not that. In fact, I'm not even taking that into account until I've heard the full story. Shichika was totally willing to kill those two robbers even when they were no longer a threat and Togame had to actually explain why he shouldn't. Meisai's death was clearly something sad and something Togame felt remorse for (you could see it from the look on her face when she saw her body), but Shickika simply smiles at her like a dog who's successfully brought the stick back to his owner. The way he calmly took his stance against Togame when they first met and his sister confirming that Shichika would have killed her had she not fallen over. I wouldn't be surprise if had Shichika killed Togame then, he wouldn't have thought much of it. Shichika blatantly stated that he is Togame's sword to Mesei. Swords don't feel remorse. They don't feel anything.

I'm pretty sure Shichika is meant to be a deconstruction of the typical Raised By Wolves character type. Not played straight as you suggest.

Last edited by Haak; 2010-03-22 at 16:39.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote