View Single Post
Old 2012-07-24, 17:56   Link #29814
UsagiTenpura
Artist

I'm thinking there are two different approaches fundamentally to a given mystery. The most obvious example I can think of is the Virgilia vs Beatrice battle of arc 3. Battler at first is trying to explain how that scene can be possible. Later he learns to deny the existence of the entire scene.

Most mysteries within Umineko are like that, and I'm starting to think most of arc 7 is what happens if you try to explain everything rather then doubt some points.

It could be that all has to be answered and nothing be simply denied, but even should that be the truth I feel more content in not accepting what I find unacceptable. Many things can be said about Umineko, but at the very least this is possible, which isn't the case of most other stories.

There is something I wonder about tho. Ultimately, was Umineko supposed to praise the Mystery genre or be a sort of critic of it, at the meta level? It feels like the answer to that could taint in white or black my appreciation of Umineko.

The without love it cannot be seen thing bugs me. It sounds just too much like "if you love Umineko you'll accept anything about it" which is just twisted. I'm playing around with the meaning and how it's meant to tell us to approach the story, but all I can see is a failproof comeback. "I don't get this" "you lack love" "this sounds stupid" "you lack love" "I think the truth is something else" "you lack love" "hey wait a min you made a mistake there" "you lack love".
Yeah. From the guy who called love a misunderstanding in Bern's letter. The only way I can see it really positively is if it's meant to tell us not accepting the story as it is (as a fantasy) might bring us answers/truth but not satisfaction.

Something else to sorta think about... I've been thinking about Fate/Tsukihime sorta, and tho I haven't read then in a long time so I might mix things up, there is like magic and sorcery, I think. One (magic, I think) cannot produce results that would be impossible with other means, while the other (sorcery, I think) can attain results beyond that (meaning technological advances pushes the limit between the two further up). If we suppose that this definition of "magic" is what Beatrice possess (and Ryuukishi is a big fan of Nasu), the story we see could be possibly an actual fantasy.

Last edited by UsagiTenpura; 2012-07-24 at 18:47.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote