View Single Post
Old 2013-03-14, 01:02   Link #12
T-6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
UT 99 and 2004 were masterpieces, though quite different from each other in terms of how they play (mainly because of dodge jump) but I loved them both. UT3...I think this does a good job of explaining some of my thoughts:
Spoiler for size:

Well, I'm not quite as angry as him but points like the latency, bogged down color scheme, and essentially a step down in terms of movement scheme, I agree with. The movement was supposed to be similar to UT 99 but really it slowed the game down. You moved faster in 99'.

Well more the the topic, if they have a new UT, these are the things I'd want most:

1) Better netcode
2) Better movement scheme
3) More COLOR
Other than feeling like the same 'ol Unreal Tournament, UT3 felt like it did suffer other problems and the reddit post does bring up some of those points. One of the first problems I noticed when i bought the full retail was that UT3 had alot less gameplay modes and maps than UT2K4. The "Titan Pack" Epic wasn't much of an improvement, if you could call it that. The A.I. also wasn't really improved much (if at all) from UT2K4. In fact, the A.I. felt like a step down from the A.I. in the first UT. Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch, the A.I. was solid but in every other gameplay mode I felt like I was doing much of the work. And my Teammates would constantly ignore my orders or 'forget' about them in a short while. This made Single Player all the more frustrating. And speaking of Single Player, the SP Campaign was so god awfully shallow I don't know why they bothered. In the +5 years I have own UT3, I only went through the campaign just once. The models, Art, and some of the levels felt a bit too much like Gears of War. In fact, some people did point out that Reaper is quite identical to Dom (Marcus's partner and friend in the Gears of War series) and could be the same model reused. Many of the Iconic characters were also missing from the UT series, such as the Skaarj, Malcom, and Xan himself! Fortunately the Mod community fixed this problem. Network features and the UI itself was also lackluster. The Titan Pack did fix some of this, but it may have been too little too late.

With these problems widely criticized by the UT community, I hope that Epic will take these criticisms to heart with the next UT game (and at this point, that's a big if). But Epic have been a bit....arrogant with the UT3 debacle. Not only did they ignore these criticisms on their own forums, but they actively tried to blame the game's poor sales on piracy alone! In fact it felt like UT3 was given the back seat treatment in favor of the GOW series, putting much more focus and attention on their GOW series over UT3. And I wasn't alone in thinking this, since some people did insist that maybe Epic should have given the development of UT3 to another developer. Mark Rein insisted that had they done that, UT3 would have lost the heart and soul of what made the UT series so great. But when I compare UT3 to the previous installments, I felt that it did lost some of it's heart and soul.
T-6000 is offline   Reply With Quote