View Single Post
Old 2010-11-29, 00:47   Link #19167
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemail View Post
Are you sure they're just alternate universe doubles? What if Ryukishi is going for a continuous narrative behind the scenes of the main events of Higurashi and Umineko? You can't really be sure of Amakusa's age from the sprite, though I too think he's quite young.
It's literally impossible for Higurashi and Umineko to be in the same universe. Higurashi is a novel in Umineko, and Higurashi is a universe where Japan hasn't yet fully integrated into the Gregorian Calender.

Quote:
Actually what I used to think was this (regarding Battler's sin):

What is called "Battler's sin" is something he told Shannon six years before the game began. This can either be "I will return next year on a white horse" or "I prefer busty blondes". Either way, what he told her upset her and created the alternate personality "Beatrice".

However, this is not what caused the murders. George, being in love with Shannon, couldn't stand to see Battler flirting with her.

If you believe George to be the culprit, then

George goes and plots the murders six years later. The failure in his love life, coupled with feelings of frustration from his mother's orders, causes George to become mentally unstable.

Otherwise,

He tells somebody else and this person does something else and SOME STUFF HAPPENS and people die.

Shannon notices George's sadness and blames everything that happened on "Beatrice", the one fantasy personality that she associates with Battler.
I would amend this, as EP7 seems to press that Multiple Personalities isn't involved, and 'Shannon' is just playing elaborate games of pretend with herself. Beatrice also was in the works as an identity more or less before Battler's sin to some degree.

This fails at the second premise. George displays occult knowledge in interactions with Maria. I didn't read any further since it made a false red.

Quote:
Btw, a little question if I may. Thanks to the discussions up till now, almost all the magic-side meta-characters had been established to have some kind of basis in the real-world be it an aspect, a character, or whatever. However, I can't seem to remember what the goats were based on in the real world. Anyone have a thought?
They seem to be generally just "generic mooks when we need a lot of numbers" with no necessary greater meaning. Though I do like to think that since they were introduced around the time Kanon was being treated as the culprit by the humans on the board, that they might introduce scapegoating. And since they also appear as masks, they might represent anonymity.

Quote:
But the thing is, he's shown to be compassionate and what can the family even actually do to stop Shannon and George getting married? Unless all characterization of him being wrong, he being maybe mentally ill, I can't see it happening. But there are things that really support it.
To be fair, he's been characterized as being willing to kill people, coldly and ruthlessly, in order to secure what he wants on more than one occasion in Fantasy scenes. The only other human character this applies to is Kyrie.