View Single Post
Old 2012-07-06, 11:28   Link #100
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I have no real wish at this time to go into detail once more about what I hate about Rebuild 2.0.

The characters aren't just being put in a different direction, the direction is also overly simplified and inconsistent in characterization.

Character development is barely existent besides a few of the main characters, and what character development is there is horribly generic.

The new character Mari has earned no distinct identity of her own since everything she did in the film was basically usurping the role of other characters (Screwing characters like Kaiji and Asuka out of screen time), which begs the question of why was she even introduced in this film?

The way the final conflict was setup was horribly flawed. Not only was the treaty that forced them to put away an Eva stupidly conceived (Seriously the world is in danger and they do that?), but it was simply a plot device to put Asuka in Toiji's sacrificial lamb spot. What's the big problem with this?

Because it creates a sort of paradox. They establish a situation which is meant to be tragic but half the ingredients to make it tragic are not even there. Maybe the audience can pity Asuka in 2.0, but the movie totally falters in trying to express the weight of her absence convincingly as there is no one else in the film to notice it! Asuka was never sufficiently brought into the film, connected to the characters by the time this even occurs. The movie fails on delivering the full influence her tragedy causes to other characters. The tension is as a result lackluster, especially in how Bardiel incident played out.

What makes this situation more laughable as how when SHinji decides to leave Nerv, Misato half-heartedly asks why Shinji hasn't asked how Asuka and Rei are doing. Wait - Asuka and Rei? If I remember correctly Rei is just fine. Oh yes, she got her big evening ruined, a little dinner party... boo hoo. No Asuka is in vegetable form in some secret lab, but Misato gets emotional that Shinji didn't get ot sit with his dad and Rei and make awkward conversation.

Doesn't this seem off? I'm sorry, the way Asuka's character was handled throughout the film was laughably bad and it wasn't just because she was different and no longer the main relationship interest.

It's these sorts of things throughout the film that make it just very mediocre to me. I can honestly go on and on if you aren't satisfied, but if you don't even respond to any of my points why should I care to?

------

Furthermore, the trailer seems to represent the same sort of flash and no substance that I saw in 2.0. Is it any wonder why I am terribly unimpressed and think the film just might actually be crap? Oh because I call it crap I am a troll. If that's what you choose to believe, so be it. Want me to use a euphemism to make it better?

Terribly ordinary
Bad
Disgraceful
Below average
Awful
Atrocious
Unsatisfactory
Unacceptable
Substandard

I don't care what you pick. It conveys the same thing. Are we so young that a little rough language is going to ruffle your feathers so much?

I also don't care if the masses of people happen to like this film. Why is that relevant to me and my own tastes and how I perceive this?

If you guys are happy with this, great. I'm not and that's what I am going to express. And believe it I am far from the only one who thinks this, so I'm not some extremist fringe opinion here.

And believe me I credit the animators and people doing the visuals (I don't like the OST or editing so won't credit that). I thought Guilty Crown was the worst show I watched last year, but I acknowledge its fantastic visuals. But just because people put effort into this I should praise the entire work? Give me a break.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote