Thread: Licensed Kokoro Connect [anime]
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-13, 17:43   Link #1250
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Lastly, I have to disagree with your point that the males in KC have received adequate development - but even more, with the standard you use to measure adequacy. Why is it acceptable for male characters to be explored only through the consequences of their actions? Or to have no traumas or complex emotional issues of their own (or arcs built around them)? Do males in real life not have these things? And why should we be satisfied with a medium where anime males exist only as avenues to explore the female characters?

I don't think I'm asking for an impossibly high standard here. In RL males and females both are emotionally complex, and I'd l'd like to see anime be a medium where they're both treated as such. It's not going to be every series - but if not an ensemble series built around exploring psychological traumas than where, for Jeebus' sake?
I think whatever this issue is, it goes way beyond anything they are or are not doing in this show.

As I said before, in fact, the first arc did do a fair bit to develop Taichi's "white night" complex, and illustrates quite clearly why this is winning him the affection of the girls around him (sometimes despite their intentions). They are contrasting this with Aoki; his steadfast but hopeless dedication to the one girl he's in love with. Meanwhile, Taichi's own (hidden?) romantic feelings came to the surface and resulted in his confession actually working out, though he's still getting closer to the other girls than Aoki has been able to (including Aoki's own crush). This is setting the stage for a major conflict that is doubtless coming down the road. When that conflict occurs, expect there to be a lot more explanation of both of these characters. But for now, they're still in the "building" stage. For the time being, while their issues are still building beneath the surface, they can be used to help us explore the other characters whose issues are taking center stage. Everyone has a role to play. That doesn't necessarily mean they all need to have the same role or be developed at the same time in exactly the same way.

As for the rest... I'm not going to go there in this thread, as I think that it'll just derail things even more than they already have been.