View Single Post
Old 2009-04-24, 01:08   Link #495
sakuraame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Zangetsu View Post
There is no Hongyoku in the equation for a Vizard. All the thing does is break the barrier between shinigami and hollow, nothing else. How the Vizard became Vizard was they got stuck in between the barrier as they were turning hollow. The Hongyoku didn't fail. All the Hongyoku did was give the Vizard a fighting chance to become shinigami again by breaking the shinigami/hollow barrier. They were stopped inside that barrier and they were trapped inbetween for the whole while. The Hongyoku failed in that it was only supposed to have the barrier open temporarily but instead it remained open for the Vizard, because they were able to cross inbetween the barrier again and again.
Granted that specifics on how the Hougyoku works exactly hasn't really been explained by Kubo, your assessment is plausible. It's just that I've always seen the barrier between "shinigami" and "hollow" as a one time deal. That when broken, it's broken. And unless the Hougyoku is capable of reconstructing that barrier it would fail in reversing the hollowifcation process, which was what Urahara was aiming for. I think it's because they choose the word "barrier" to talk about the division between "shinigami" and hollow" that I thought that it would be a one time deal. For me when I think barrier, I think of a wall, that once you knock it down, it's broken until someone rebuilds it and not really like door that can be opened and closed, but the two rooms remain separate. Actually, when I first thought about "barriers" I thought about something else entirely, but there's really no need to talk about shinigami/hollow chastity... (Sorry... I went there... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Zangetsu View Post
Ichigo however, seems to have completely broken the barrier on his own. He was shinigami until he had to gain his shinigami powers back. He got so close to crossing the barrier that time and perhaps broken it but in the last second turning shinigami again. Then a few times during the bount arc and the SS arc, he turned hollow but held onto human form and by himself crossed back into a shinigami. He was crossing that barrier many times already, but once he mastered his inner hollow, he was able to get into the middle of the barrier and become both Shinigami and Hollow at will thus he became a Vizard.
I think that the barrier was broken when he regained his shinigami powers and ended up happening as a side effect/byproduct of almost turning into a hollow. I believe that he was able to emerge out the shattered shaft as a shinigami because he was able to hold onto his humanity/logic at the last second and thus have his hollow side semi-tamed for the time being. Beginning to turn into a hollow for me signified that the barrier had been breached. I think that from the time that he emerged out of the shattered shaft, he was technically already a Vizard. And same with Shinji and co., I thought that they were technically Vizard when the hollowification process started and not when Urahara used the Hougyoku on them.

I think that the process differed with the Vizard and Ichigo because the Vizard were shinigami when they were being hollowified. Their shinigami powers allow them some venue to fight against the hollowification process and thus were able to remain in half-hollow forms for longer periods of time then Ichigo. It's not that they were in between the barrier, its that their shinigami powers were able to keep the hollows at bay for a while. Ichigo however was a normal human soul when his hollowification process began. He would have turned into a hollow if he didn't break the barrier as it were and become a shinigami, thus effectively keeping his weaker hollow side at bay. At least until it got powerful enough to fight for control and then Ichigo had to physically beat his hollow into submission.

Of course this is all speculation as the exact mechanics of the Hougyoku haven't been revealed, and is not something that I am expecting to be explained in detail anyways.