View Single Post
Old 2012-11-01, 02:45   Link #47
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Once the viewer recovers from excess unstable angina from watching this episode, I think it becomes rather apparent that while the previous episode hints how Rikka likes being who she is and what she wants to do, there's a really that hint of sadness and loneliness behind that eye patch. For everything she believes herself and those around her to be, the episode makes me think that she is indeed probably aware that her persona/personality does indeed alienate her from people who think her 8th Grader Syndrome is immature and don't want to associate with her.

The second half illustrates a certain "slowness" to her usual genki self. It's not a radical shift, but it's like her syndrome/delusions crack under the weight of more immediate real world problems. Perhaps in a way she does understand that her Witch Eye, for what it's worth, can't solve her problem and she has to deal with it the same way more... uh... normal people. Well she tried, but had to resign to the fact that she has to study like a regular person. The second half barely has any of her delusions, it's just a girl who's struggling with her grades and her loneliness. It's as if she forgot about her witches eye for the most part and became a regular girl.

So I have to ask: Contrary to the assumption that she's completely convinced of her persona, does she in fact have some self awareness that she's not entirely who she thinks she is? Does she have some small knowledge that she's trying to live a magical fantasy life but in the back of her mind is aware of what reality is and isn't?