View Single Post
Old 2004-12-21, 00:30   Link #16
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoBaka
I've been looking for a player like the Philips DVP-642... would you recommend it? I will be using it on a 32 inch Sony Trinitron that was made in the late 1990s. I wouldn't mind being able to view the occasional DivX file on my TV without having to hook up my computer to it.
I have a pretty low end TV (got it used off Craigslist), and everything the Philips outputs looks fine to me. For $70, I've got a region free PAL/NTSC player that does MP4 *and* comes from a major, internationally recognised and licensed brand name (All CD and DVD player manufacturers are supposed to pay royalties for spec implementation to the respective forums, which are both managed by Philips). The only real problems with it are that it won't do QPEL, it does choke up if stuff has a bitrate spike (for example, Live Action Cutie Honey from Spork (great move, great subs) stuttered a bit on the massive CG Henshin up front as well as one of the animated sequences in the opening), and the lack of overscan compensaton Also, the PAL->NTSC conversion isn't the greatest (it's more blatant when I run stuff off to tape than when I just watch), but it's more than serviceable (you won't get better on a consumer grade player). Considering the alternatives of dropping a couple hundred on a tower to leave in place, hauling hardware back and forth, or leaving my gear up to OSS hackers (what's that? Still no DVD menu or subtitle support in XBMC?), I'd say it's the way to go.

Last edited by exedore; 2004-12-21 at 00:50.
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote