View Single Post
Old 2012-09-07, 07:33   Link #298
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
Sums up my thoughts pretty well. A few weeks ago, I actually told myself "hmm, I wonder how much of a hit the Reborn anime could've been if it actually adapted Amano's art in a more appealing way"... and when the character designer was announced here, I had faith that it'd finally happen and that we'd get something fairly stylish - but this is definitely missing her edge, and even though it's hard to judge from one scan, I feel like they didn't even get the point when adapting Ishida's character. He looks awfully generic now. I know Amano's designs are not of the kind of design that can translate well into animated form, but then I wish they'd stop going for these artists if it always ends up in disappointment later on. :/

Either way, the two leads at least haven't lost all their appeal, and this still has a few very interesting selling points besides the character design, so I'll be WAITING FOR 9.13 still somewhat hyped.
I think the 3 magazine scans so far show totally different levels of quality though. The PASH one with the 4 characters just standing there is the worst one because there's no proper expression at all, and zero attempt at layout. The one Michinori Chiba drew for Newtype on the other hand, has really good layout, nice lighting, and very unique character expressions and good artwork. The remaining one from Animedia (I think) is definitely leaning on "generic", where it looks like any other anime of the sort, but the art quality seems decent.

I'm hoping that the Newtype scan is more representative of the anime's actual visual look, but I guess we'll have to wait until they show us a real PV to find out...
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote