View Single Post
Old 2011-05-11, 07:24   Link #1137
Undertaker

Personally I agree with you two in Clannad and Kara no Kyōkai and I was confused on those two when I found a lot of lists contend both series. (And on that, I was confuse on why most would consider slap comedy like Azumanga to be in it) But the consensus from the places I've been and read seems to include both series into healing types. It would seems that, after watching both aeries, they are suppose to making you feel all warm and fussy inside and make you feel better about yourself after you watch it, and that seems to be the biggest criteria that trumps other criteria for these series and precisely why I said that HanaIro was the "traditional prototype" for these type of series, since this series pretty much fits all the criteria with little room for argument .

If you can see read Chinese or Japanese, look up the words 治療系(動漫) they even designate certain types of idols and celebrities as "healing types".

I'll also say that the more I did research on this genre thing, the broader the definition seems to become not unlike the slice of life we are talking about here. Similar to the categorization of Shonen/Shojo/Seinen comic to an extend, that at its core, it ends up depending on the pure fact from the native serialization magazine of the said series and not based on the content of the series itself. For example since its debut in US, for a long time Ah! My Goddess was often seen as Shojo or Shonen, but it is actually Seinen, and the series is rarely considered as harem comic in Japan or East Asia compare to west. And there are also many westerners who refuse to categorize Natsume Yūjinchō or Nodame as Shojo because they defined Shojo to be sappy romance while if was common knowledge over in the East.

Same thing as Eroge, A lot of westerners I've seen refuse to label series like Fate/Stay Night, Shuffle, Clannad as Eroge, and dead set on separating between Bishojo game and Eroge. But in Japan and East Asia, Eroge is simply a sub-genre of Bishojo games and they have no problem label aforementioned series as eroge since they contend explicit sex scenes and you can find relative walk-throughs, reviews, and save data on Eroge sites.

As for the Kaleido Star, I would agree that I won't use Slice-of-life on it even with its broadest definitiion, but that series had little doubt as "healing" types and was treated as such over in East. Again all I can say is cultural barrier...

Last edited by Undertaker; 2011-05-11 at 08:24.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote