Thread: Hyouge Mono
View Single Post
Old 2011-04-29, 23:52   Link #35
TinyRedLeaf
'Dear Elhit'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
If the opportunity ever presented itself, I sure would love to play poker with Sasuke. Worst poker face ever.
Wuss. If you're going to play, might as well play against the best: Akechi Mitsuhide.

==========

By the way, many thanks for the kind words I've received for my previous post.

While watching Ep3, I got the feeling that viewers may again be left in the dark about what's going on. It's not that difficult this time to figure it out, though. For a start, just google "kamquat" Akechi Mitsuhide. You'd then understand the significance of him not using Nobunaga's bequeathed tea kettle at the celebration dinner.

As for Nobunaga's wild ambition for foreign conquests, I must say it's a surprise for me too. I don't recall reading that he had such goals during his lifetime. In the end, Japan did invade Korea (the Joseon kingdom), but it would not be under Nobunaga's command.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about Japanese tea ceremony to explain the intricacies behind Sasuke's tea-room encounter with tea master Soueki Sen. A few things to point out: the tea room was a relatively modern design for that era, from what I recall. Because of the way the door is designed, the individual is forced to "bow" as he entered and, as Sasuke observed, he couldn't take his sword with him, and that could be construed as an insult to warriors.

I would have liked to learn more about Soueki's approach to tea ceremony as well. Take note of his countenance, especially his eyes — it resembles the face of the Buddha (whose visage appears in Nobunaga's "throne room" later in the episode). The suggestion here, of course, is that Soueki has achieved some kind of Zen-like calm through his mastery of tea ritual. This is a familiar theme in Japanese culture and it has close ties with all forms of Japanese martial arts. So, by mastering tea ceremony, Sasuke may indeed find the "fork that binds a warrior and aesthete". We'll have to wait further to see how he achieves this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuki_tohru View Post
Many of depiction of "Hyouge Mono" is based on the historical fact. If history of Japan is investigated, all the future fate of Sasuke is known. Although I knew beforehand about Furuta Oribe's, i.e., him, whole life, the tale is still filled to charm.
Sasuke is Samurai and Otaku. At the start time of a tale at least, he is only the teacup otaku smeared with the desire. This situation changes with encounter with Rikyu. He himself becomes an artist and becomes an artist's patron. Sasuke gropes for Samurai-oriented art.

Speaking of anime, I cannot see it. Broadcast channels are NHK BS, broadcasting satellite channel. This is not free broadcast. It is unthinkable to make a contract of paid broadcasting only for Hyouge Mono.
Welcome to the thread. I presume you're Japanese? It's interesting what you've said about this show not being available on free-to-air channels. Does that affect its popularity in Japan?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote