View Single Post
Old 2011-07-20, 14:01   Link #14919
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
Still, I think these lobby groups are not the only ones to blame. My heretical thesis is, that voters naturally lean center right on average, so a party that ignores this is going to shoot itself. An individual voter's ideas might be progressive but in the end political reality shows that voters prefer the egoistic approach (preserving as much benefits as possible for themselves) - in this regard the average voter is completely in line with the super wealthy elite. This is why I think it is not just the influential lobby groups but it is also this nation's egoism that causes the nation to have the government that it has now.
Indeed, and that is troubling. Alexander Tytler once wrote:

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover they can vote themselves largess from the public treasury.

"From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising them the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship."

This is pretty much exactly what we're seeing... though I think times have changed a bit. In his day we would have seen a dictatorship. In our day, we'll see 80s-cyberpunk style megacorps.