View Single Post
Old 2012-10-24, 12:44   Link #2308
Aknazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshin9 View Post
It's not a lot. In a Korean translation it was a bit ambiguous, but I think it said 10 km x 10 km (100 km2). It's probably not 10000 km2 since that's way larger than a city.

On another note, a lot of these translations aren't directly from the Japanese original. From what I can tell, they're being translated from the Chinese translation.
This is really going to depend on where you come from for what you consider to be a "bit" of land. If it is 100km x 100km this still wouldn't be a "lot" of land for someone to be in charge of. While it might be bigger than a city (again depending on where you are from), it can also be smaller than a county. And with the exception of some of the smallest states in the US, it is FAR smaller than a state. As I'm American, 100x100km is roughly 62x62mi, and when I've driven cross-country it normally takes ~300-500mi to travel from one side of a state to another.

Another thing to consider is that we're talking about wine-growing (well, one doesn't "grow" wine, they grow the grapes and turn them into wine). So you're going to need a decent amount of land for that. 10x10km you can walk from one side to the other in 2-3 hours tops (and even faster if someone is travelling by horse) and I doubt it could accomodate the farms needed to raise 12k ECU a year.

So I think 100km x 100km could still be a reasonably "small" amount of land for one to basically be a lord over (even if it is a huge amount of land for us peasants to think about owning). Of course this could also be the American in me skewing my view since the US is such a large country and has tons of land that 100x100km doesn't seem "that" large to be a lord over.

Last edited by Aknazer; 2012-10-25 at 08:33.
Aknazer is offline   Reply With Quote