View Single Post
Old 2013-05-14, 20:29   Link #78
marvelB

^This is more of a hunch than anything, but I think what's ultimately going to cement Dofla's status as Luffy's main foe this arc will be their conflicting ideologies. I had briefly brought this up in my earlier post about Sabo, but this applies more than ever here: Think of the Bellamy conflict in Jaya. Who was the one who planted those ideas of spitting on people's dreams in those people's heads in the first place? If it was Dofla, then that means he's the very root of the conflict in question.

In fact, this is very likely the reason why Oda reintroduced us to Bellamy in this arc in the first place: We can learn through him about what makes Dofla such an influential person in the first place. Why does Bellamy idolize this man to the point that he even went to the trouble of bringing him a gift from a sky island, apparently at the cost of his own crew? How does a guy who dabbles in underground slave trade and weapons manufacturing earn so much respect from so many people, even after abdicating his status as both a warlord AND king? If he was able to rise as high as he did by ridiculing and stomping on the dreams of others, well..... could you really see Luffy take that sitting down?