View Single Post
Old 2017-11-29, 21:40   Link #750
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amasposu View Post
http://www.ebookjapan.jp/ebj/comic_magazine/ is currently my go-to place to buy ebooks for manga magazines, tankobon, and light novels.

Pros:
- They accept my non-Japan credit cards.
- They release ebook manga magazines online (ie: Weekly Shonen Magazine) at the same time as they release in Japan. There is no need to wait for the release even though I don't live in Japan.
- Their selection is ridiculously large. They literally have everything you can think of.
For content from Japan, bought outside Japan. Great to see another comment by someone with personal experience with a particular online store. Great also to see the increasing number of online stores with content from more than one publishing company. Catalogues of eTexts for older and more obscure titles and from smaller publishers are also apparently rapidly expanding.

Because of interest in the serialisation of Chihayafuru, in Be Love magazine, I ran into this online store list on the Japanese site of Kodansha. Some of those stores only work from Japanese mobile phones while others only work within Japan and/or with Japanese payment methods so I'm glad to hear that another store appearing on their list is confirmed to work for overseas customers.

Hopefully more licenses are negotiated for traffic in the other direction as well. Allowing for translated electronic content in various languages to be sold back inside Japan and additional parts of the world.

Do you also have experience with any of the other stores on such lists?

Beyond the initial step of purchasing electronic books / magazines I do wonder about their benefits - especially the permanence of the content. Are all those titles downloaded and will the contents be permanently at your disposal or do they remain at the mercy of the content providers / license holders / stores etc...? How easy is it to find each individual file on your device - for storage and backups - beyond the shelves?
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote