View Single Post
Old 2011-01-11, 05:21   Link #21461
Kylon99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I could agree that understanding what caused that explosion isn't part of "the game". But from a narrative perspective I think that such a strange event deserved more detailed explanations. Especially considering that he teased us by showing people constantly call it the "unfortunate incident" without ever telling what that was.
Oh, no... if you mean by 'what caused' it you mean why was the explosion set off in the first place... I'd say that was part of what we were meant to find out. EP7 tells us it's something Beatrice planned for... and the why is in why she even thought of that. Supposedly. I'm not too sure she really intended for all of the deaths, similar to AuraTwilight... but... I have to consider the possibility her hands aren't as clean as I thought they were.

But if you mean 'what caused it' as in... who flipped the switch or ignited the fuse, etc... then... I don't believe that's relevant. All we know is someone did and the bomb did go off. The meat is in why Yasu (if it was her) set it up that way...

Quote:
the first is the fact that the incident wouldn't be an explosion but a landslide. and the victims wouldn't die in an explosion. This contradicts the EP6 TIPS that said that Erika died in an explosion.
Well not if the police became aware of the TNT used to trigger the event. And, the TIPS say that Erika may have become involved in the Rokkenjima Explosion Incident, not that she had to have been blown up directly by the bomb. So, if the landslide was natural (say due to the amount of rain) then they wouldn't have said that; they'd say Rokkenjima Landslide Incident. But if they could detect (say the residue of) the TNT and determined that, since it was probably all over the place thanks to 900T going off... then they would probably call it an Explosion Incident.

They'd probably call it an accident if they couldn't find any evidence of foul play. They'd chalk it up to some unexploded ordinance from WW2 finally going off or becoming unstable.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12877289
Quantification and aging of the post-blast residue of TNT landmines.

Quote:
The second is the fact that the crater was several dozen meters deep. So something around 30-60m. That's about the height of Manhattan skyscraper.

A simple implosion cannot vaporize matter or throw it in the ocean. therefore to justify that depth you'd need to speculate that the tunnels were that high, or the sum of several tunnels one above the other can make that height.

In other words if that story of the 900t is true then Ryuukishi introduced in his story a non nuclear explosion that created a crater that more than doubled the one in this nuclear test.
Which is why I think it must involve the movement of earth into the sea. Although I think the mansions themselves may have had special explosive attention.

http://www.mirthegreat.com/temp/umineko/explosion.jpg <-- this picture though shows a big round circle though. Is it from the anime? By the way, the way it's drawn, it looks like Toraian is right at the center... However, I have to protest that an island is very different from the desert. There's 100% more soil around your blast area in the desert, whereas the surrounding area to the island is... air.

Anyways, Ripple Rock is my example of setting charges smartly rather than somehow consolidating 900T of TNT in one spot and just hoping it blows up the way you want. (Which as you've shown, won't.) And the result is to shear a mountain, a mass larger than Rokkenjima, so there's still plenty of TNT left to play with after... for things that you really do want to vaporize and blow up...

I gotta imagine someone surreptitiously asked some demolitions experts on how to do things... say, a mercenary group called the Yamainu.... :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
You cannot see the super awesome hyper-morphing metal mecha-dome without love.
... more than meets the eyes...
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote