Thread: Civilization V
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-22, 17:43   Link #87
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Irenicus: We're not playing on any special difficulty. Kaioshin's set @ warlord, and I'm set @ noble. Maybe I should upload the save, apparently you can play as any player if you load it on your own comp.

Heh, well, I recorded myself playing a really run of the mill Civ IV noble difficulty game for an hour as a tutorial for Kaioshin and others. Now I'm uploading it to youtube as we speak but I'm sure Youtube will ruin the quality and make everything unreadable so what's a good space to upload a couple of 250 MB files? Civ games tend to be kinda long so...even compressed an hour is going to be ~1.5 GB (below that and it gets awfully blurry)

Also, I had to use Window mode for it to record right, so it's gonna be a bit jerky.Kinda lame Civ IV's Window mode is so bad (no option to lock cursor for scrolling) and for this reason I can't play turning the resolution any lower. I was already playing at like half speed and was still managing stuff very poorly. Especially painful was the massive massive amounts of jungles and I absolutely despise having to chop it... there should be a auto-clear jungle button, but then again Civ IV's interface is so god awful, that's too much to expect.

It is however, God, compared to Civ V's interface...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa6qu0LrC64
And that's part one. You'll have to full screen for it to be readable, if you can deal with that, I'll upload more.
Hey though, more jungles means more stockpiled lumber which means more free hammer icons in the long run. That's one thing that I've made particular note of for my next game. It's really important to use your forests cause hammer tiles can be really hard to come by if you don't have a lot of hills early on for mines.

Now of course I should mention for the purposes of the thread that a forest tile adds +0.4 health to your city, which isn't much, but could help early on if you are really desperate for extra health bonuses and are playing on a higher difficulty. It's best to think of health as a further cap on growth the same way that happiness effects your growth. For every unhappy person over your total of happy people you get one less worker available and for every unhealthy person over your total of healthy people that person consumes twice as much food. Really bad if you are trying to grow your city.

The two biggest things that effect health are the buildings you have as well as the population of your city since disease spreads faster in crowded areas and certain types of buildings like say forges or factories spread pollution. Forests can counteract this, but so can your medicine and other types of buildings so once you get those you won't be needing a whole lot of forest in your area anymore.

The two biggest things that effect happiness are again the population of your city, but also the manner in which you govern. Certain buildings and improvements give extra happiness as do certain civics while others take away from happiness. Use the whip to hurry production and you'll find yourself with some unhappy people for a generation or two. Keep the citizens well protected with a strong garrison and you can negate or with the right civic even improve the ratio of happy to unhappy people and open room for tons of growth.

It's all a matter of balance, much like the majority of the features in this game.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote