View Single Post
Old 2010-05-23, 05:58   Link #185
Agito Akiyama
Bass-wa Watashi

Send a message via MSN to Agito Akiyama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkpenalty View Post
I know I'm going to get flamed for doing humanity some good, but any epiphone that doesn't cost more than $1000 isn't of decent quality for its price. Gibsons aren't good either, $2500 gibsons still have loads of quality issues.

So that guitar you recommended; the les paul 100, I've seen friends not heed my advice and end up with lemon guitars left and right. In terms of quality you'll find that the guitars have a rather poor fit and finish (loose/damaged strap pins, knobs insecure/not hammered in properly, switches not in the right way, electronics poorly done, TOM not hammered in properly, extremely fragile guitar given the wood that they use). They also have a tendency to neckdive severely.

Might I ask are you guys getting Gibson's guitars purely because of fandom? I think they're terrible in general, unless you fork out a car's worth of money for them.

You're so much better off going for Les Paul imitations from jap brands like tokai, greco, and other companies like ESP (win win win), Edwards, etc. For about the same price they provide a guitar which is actually worth its money.

I'll explain why Epiphone can afford to do this, its because of stuff like K-on and the overpromotion of it... along with fender's stuff, its the only stuff you see in a lot of guitar stores. The company is run by a businessman, not a guitarist or luthier.

Anyway sry for going OT. I shall dissapear now.
That's not OT, and I completely agree with you though the older Gibson models are amazing.