View Single Post
Old 2010-08-21, 21:06   Link #496
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chounokoe View Post
I assume your not really knowledgable about Japanese detective fiction? This is not meant as an insult, mainly as a statement, because it is something I observed with many people.
There is nothing wrong with that, but many people seem to hold expectations for this story that are very much beside the point of the original genre. Of course it depends wether Ryukishi plans to write according to basic rules or not...but so far he has.
I don't think you're getting the point they're making at all. You can't hide behind genre as an excuse for why bad writing decisions are made. But I don't even think that's what's going on, as I don't think he's simply writing to genre conventions. I also know for a fact that he's far more versed in classical and western mystery than mere lip service. And I think he's very explicitly manipulating conventions from all of them.

There's also the part, from ep1, right at the start, where Kyrie calls romances harder mysteries to solve than detective stories. If that's not enough to call into confusion the genre issues, I don't know what is.

You seem very convinced of your own superior knowledge of genre, but I don't think ryukishi has ever intended with Umineko to do anything but twist genre as much as he's allowed. Anti-Fantasy vs. Anti-Mystery was his opening shot, after all.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error