View Single Post
Old 2012-06-17, 17:06   Link #22038
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
So we are dictating others what to do?
If you go back to 2010 you'll see that Merkel opposed all bail-outs. Germany gave in to France, Italy etc., not the other way around. "More European integration" is nothing but a euphemism for more money transfer. If Greece does not want to cut spending, we are not forcing them. The thing is Greece is bankrupt, but somehow people think that everything could just go on and on like during the last decade if only Merkel wasn't such a drag and just gave them the money they feel they are entitled to.
Now we will have to save Spain's banks, next is Italy. Hopefully before the ESM gets ratified.
You and me, since I was paying taxes for the Greek bailout in both Greece and Germany. On the other hand, I was having some of the advantages that the German private sector enjoyed by that imbalance.

It's not fair for the German tax-payers... I agree, but it's also not fair for all F-PIIGS + Cyprus that have to do the same and disproportionally to Germans... and finally politicians begin to realize that the austerity imposed is magnifying the original problem.

When Germany needed to rebuild after WWII, all other European countries helped a lot more, learning from their destructive policies in mid-war and driving it to fascism. Now that the roles have finally turned around and Germany has the financial power to contribute, it would be long term to Germany's benefit to help instead of hinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
You think Germans have more trouble with foreign languages than people in smaller countries like e.g. Greece? Doubtful to say the least.
Well, 25 years in Greece, 6 in Germany, almost 1 in England and many trips to France, Sweden, Netherlands and Italy have set my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
Language is (for better or worse) a non issue in the 21st century English has become the common language (much like latin first and greek later on) were. Not knowing english is akin to being illiterate. So the EU can use english to draft laws that apply to all members, it would be easier than, lets say, using Esperanto.
LMAO, not by a long-shot. Also you got the historical order of greek/latin prevalence wrong, and they were followed by french before english.