View Single Post
Old 2006-05-05, 23:31   Link #39
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcl
As vexx mentions もの can have various meanings. 者 which is person or 物 which is things. So for now I assume we agree that "The one that is being sung" cannot be correct because as I mentioned earlier if the うた meant 歌 then 者 cannot proceed it because it doesn't make sense in japanese.

As for translations I probably wouldn't trust 2ch (different from 2chan) compared to my professor's either. But this isn't actually a translation issue (well not in the sense of between one language to another). It's an issue of understanding what the hiragana is.

While うたわれるもの can mean

歌われる物 (The thing that is sung)

it can also mean

謳われる者 (The one who is admired)

(謳われる【うたわれる】
(v1) to be admired; to be stipulated; to be clearly expressed)

and it is the second one that the people on 2ch believe to be the correct interpretation of the hiragana.

In terms of context it also makes sense because hakuoro will go on to do many great things and will recieve the people's admiration (even at ep4 it is already evident that he is someone the villagers admire).

But it is up to you on how you interpret it I suppose.
If you really want to know what the non-Ainu-legend meaning is and you know Japanese, go play the game. The word is used only once in the game, and it is used right before the last battle.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote