Thread: Gundam Seed
View Single Post
Old 2004-04-26, 08:51   Link #69
Suikun

You can accuse Cartoon Network of a lot of things (and I mean a lot) but you simply can't accuse them of not allowing Japanese music on US television when in actuality they, along with Tech TV, are the only networks that allow Japanese music on TV in the US. In Gundam Seed, so far, they've kept the Japanese insert songs fully intact.

And the ending song is done wierdly, but they do leave it in Japanese - in the Japanese version, you start to hear the beginning of the ending song that leads into the ending credits during the last bits of the episode. Cartoon Network always likes to have the episode preview before the ending credits - not after, like they do it in Japan. So, the episode fades out just as you start to hear the ending song in Japanese, then they play the episode preview, then they go back to the ending credits with the song in it's original Japanese language.

Additionally, they've played the Japanese opening for G Gundam, Inuyasha, Gundam 0083, and a few others. Plus, when they aired Rurouni Kenshin, they specifically requested the Japanese version of Heart of the Swords to use during the ending credits, when they could have easily used the English version instead (or just used their own crappy music).

So, I really don't think Cartoon Network has a problem with Japanese music. Not only that, but realize that the first Gundam Seed opening did contain bits of nudity (yeah, it's minor - but still), and even on Adult Swim, that stuff doesn't fly too well. I think that's the main reason they cut the opening, but also anytime the show runs over 23 minutes (yes, 23 - CN has fewer commercials than most networks do) then they cut the opening and make their own due to time constraints. There are some instances where they cut the opening even if it fits under the time limit just fine (Trigun; Outlaw Star) and other times where they've left the original opening even though it went over the time limit (some eps of Bebop run for 24 min 30 sec and they still keep the opening in-tact... although recently they started shortening Real Folk Blues, so I guess that makes up for it).

I'm not trying to defend Cartoon Network, that's for sure - WAY too often do they acquire series outside the scope of their target demographic; like Rurouni Kenshin - they bought it, dumbed it down for 6-11 year olds, and then wondered why only the 12-17 and 18-34 demographics were watching. Obviously, they're doing the same thing with Gundam Seed. The thing that baffles me is - I thought the entire point of putting Toonami on Saturdays and putting Gundam Seed on at 10:30pm - the latest possible time slot without going into Adult Swim - was to be able to get away with fewer edits and target an older audience (their press release back in February said this when they revealed when Gundam Seed would air) but clearly that's not the case. The only reason I can think of as to why Seed is as badly edited as it is is that either Bandai or CN - whoever edited the show for TV - they must not have originally edited the tapes with this "older audience" in mind, and it was too late to go back and re-do it when they announced when it would be airing.
Suikun is offline   Reply With Quote