View Single Post
Old 2013-02-08, 17:17   Link #11987
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus753 View Post
@Kaisos: i am going to assume you simply misinterpreted a message from one of his works. Any other thought would lead to horror that anyone could actually say something so heartless.
Of course he has. Judging from an earlier comment, I know what he's talking about, and he's completely wrong.

Quote:
@Endscape: As I said before, it is sometimes difficult to differentiate between author soapboxes and characters' opinions. Sometimes, the author has villains and jerks say the author's viewpoint. Occasionally, it's to say, "Hey, if THIS guy can see the obvious..." or maybe the author doesn't consider it important.
As I said, that's where context comes in. Who is saying what? Who are they saying it to? What is their reasoning for saying it? In what situation did they say it?

Quote:
In any case, it's hard to see if we're supposed to agree with those two.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I read their lines this chapter (that is, about how continuing to struggle even after losing everything that you value makes you no longer human) as the author commenting on the situation.
Given the context, I have difficulty seeing it as just their opinions.
Firstly, Medaka hasn't lost absolutely everything yet. She still trying to rescue Shiranui, who she believes is still in there somewhere.

Secondly, look at who's talking here. Iihiko, who has already lost everything and Kotobuki and Kakegae, who can throw away anything, can't understand how Medaka can risk everything for the sake of something important to her.

Then we have Nienami, who comes in and clearly says that it's because they can't understand, that they lost.

Nisio makes it pretty clear that it's just their opinion and that he disagrees with it.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote