View Single Post
Old 2008-06-08, 20:14   Link #37
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm
Aw, man! I didn't want to be dragged in here!
Yeah right lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo
I don't know how you can say otherwise, these two are definitely not Minmei and Misa in terms of screen time. Sheryl has a few more scenes in the OP, is more a focus of the ED (duh it's her song), was #2 on the cast list for 8 of the ten episodes. Will be singing both the new OP (with Ranka) and the ED and both those songs should be used in the show. Every episode that focuses on the other more has undertones for the other girl. I think Ranka has had slightly more screen time but Sheryl has had more "impact" out of her time so to say.
Sheryl scenes having more "impact" than Ranka's is nothing more but an opinion. I don't think Sheryl's 0.5-1 second flashes in the OP gave her more screentime than Ranka. It also doesn't help that the OP's lyrics pertain to Ranka. I'll give Sheryl the ED theme, but if you want to get technical about the cast listing, just look at the official website and magazines lol Anyway, I'm just saying that the OP/ED and random cast listings at the end each episodes etc etc aren't enough proof to support that the two girls will have an even role IN the story. Although it's true that the producers gave Sheryl more songs than Ranka. Compensation? She is the galactic fairy, afterall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo
I also don't see Ranka giving up on stardom since it will be new to her, if anyone gives up on stardom it will be Sheryl because she's found something better.
After episode 11 preview, Ranka realizing how lonely it is 'at the top' seems to be the more likely route she will take. Without the Alto, Ranka is not happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina
Finally, I think it's a mistake to characterize Ranka and Alto's relationship as somehow based on mutual pity; they both really help each other, but in different ways. Alto almost drives himself to distraction with his determination at times, because he frequently doesn't know how to direct it in a productive way. Ranka provides a goal for him IMO, but she's more than that--I think she has a calming effect on him. Again, returning to the observatory scene, Alto goes from snarling frustration at Michel's accusation to contentedly folding a paper airplane, which seems to be associated with the happier parts of Alto's childhood (I think there was footage of that in the latest preview). When Ranka sings Aimo, Alto says "That's right," which I interpret as his own resolution that his desire to fight goes beyond his family problems--the same question he couldn't answer himself before he ran into Ranka. I also think it's significant that it's Aimo that serves as the bridge in between the observatory scene, the burial, and Alto's official enlistment. Yes, he speaks brave words about going it alone and independence, but he really did need Ranka and her song to arrive at that conclusion.
I can't believe people are just taking this paragraph for granted. This is a major focal point of Alto's development--the moment he joined SMS. Though at that point of time, Alto's reason for wanting to join SMS was unclear, it still didn't change the fact that the girl who pushed Alto into taking a step forward was Ranka and not Sheryl. Ranka got the resolve to enter Ms. Macross, Alto got the resolve to enter SMS. This isn't just something that the audience would imagine for "thinking too much", it was blatantly insinuated in the story. I also believe that this isn't something to be ignored when talking about Ranka and Alto's relationship.

Another example of this was in episode 1 right after Alto met Ranka. He clearly didn't want to do the exhibition, but after his encounter with Ranka, for SOME reason, he felt pumped up to do the job. Alto clearly has a positive effect on Ranka, but I will also say that she also has her own influences on Alto unbeknownst to her awareness.

Quote:

What does this have to do with romantic relationships?
It has everything to do with a romantic relationship. That's where it starts to bud. Normally, I wouldn't conclude this fast, but after ten episodes and episode 13 spoilers, I'm in a safe spot.

Also, this is anime. You know once a guy and a girl started getting closer=L.O.V.E comes to mind regardless of how platonic the mutual relationship is.

Quote:
It's going to be necessarily harder for anyone to prove a romantic interest on Alto's part, since we don't really know all that much about him to begin with. You should probably start by trying to elucidate what the nature of Ranka's interest in Alto is. We know that she thinks that he's helpful and pretty, but I was thinking about something more along the lines of shared interests, goals, or ideals. What happens during peacetime when there's nothing to protect?
When people fall in love, they usually don't care about the details as to why. They just do. I doubt Ranka is going to put off her feelings just because she couldn't come up with a decent answer as to why she fell for Alto. Besides, we're still in episode 10. I'm pretty sure Alto is bound to find an even stronger reason of why he wants to do what he wants to do. Same for Ranka.