Thread: Licensed Claymore Manga
View Single Post
Old 2011-09-03, 08:27   Link #200
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodlou
I prefer the Viz stuff more than the current scanlations if it it were up to me. If you are subbing or TL Japanese and turning them into English, why the F do you still have to put in "nee-san" or "kun" or "sama" in it? As readers, we already know who is senior' etc. Sorry, pet peeve of mine..
No no, on that I agree -- I don't really like stuff like that, especially in a story like this where that sort of vocabulary just doesn't exist; it just feels too cutesy in a dark story like this, especially when the story is so European-based -- suddenly reading somebody referred to a "--san" or something suddenly feels like the immersion is broken. An example is Cynthia; she's very nice, but some scanlators include the suffix when she's talking to or about other people -- even if she actually says these things in the raw, It's something I'd personally rather not see when I read the english scanlation.

Doesn't ruin the reading experience or anything, but darn does it come close *shrug.