View Single Post
Old 2013-05-08, 10:44   Link #34
TinyRedLeaf
Feeling comfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
The Titans are only interested in humans, seem fairly mindless, only desire to destroy humans, and are extremely hot (temperature-wise). We also don't know what's going on in the world beyond the walls, nor do we know what humanity was like before the Titans showed up. Did the author go with a total fantasy scenario, or was humanity originally as we are today and then it regressed along the "tech tree" due to Titan activity?

I'm hoping that they don't go with the Blue Submarione No. 6 scenario, where all of the hostile race of creatures was created by one man who had it out for humanity and decided to purge their existence himself.
You know, now that you mentioned regression, it suddenly struck me: Maybe it isn't the titans who are titanic, but the humans instead who have shrunk down to their present-day size. That is, the "titans" are actually about the same size as real humans in our real-life world, and are titanic only when compared to the "humans" of this make-belief world.

In other words, it's all relative. This could well be why the humans don't seem to have enough arable land to produce enough food for everyone — in absolute terms, the amount of land available to them is actually very small, too small for sustainable agriculture.

(Okay, okay, I know the theory doesn't hold water, given that we've seen familiar animals like deer that also appear small when compared to titans but, still, it's a midly amusing thought. )
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote