View Single Post
Old 2008-02-06, 08:39   Link #62
Renaissance Otaku
Shadow Member

Send a message via AIM to Renaissance Otaku Send a message via MSN to Renaissance Otaku Send a message via Yahoo to Renaissance Otaku
I'm a little surprised at all the hate (ok, not really). It's true that the characters were all messed up, but that's why we got a bad ending. Makoto just got too cocky, and refused any semblence of responsibility or understanding of what sort of pain he was causing. Coupled with girls that just didn't want to let go, of course their actions would be despicable. Still, I liked it quite a bit. It's not Shakespeare, but neither is a lot of shows that get high praise (like say the first season of Higurashi).

Yeah, maybe they tried fitting too much in with his sleeping around (the Sekai/Kotonoha bridge scene was rather pointlessly tacked on).

Character wise, I sort of liked them all, even Makoto (at least until he really started sleeping around). Though he was an idiot in how he handled Kotonoha, and Sekai was a fool for thinking he wouldn't do it to her. I think I liked it because, as dumb or deluded as they were, it still seemed rational. It's not like they're fine one minute, psycho the next. It kept a level of believable, so the ending was plausible, if tragic.

I voted for:

Kotonoha - Shy and reserved, not really my thing, but I liked her willingness to open up, and her loyalty. Had Makoto not been so impatient, she would've blossome into a great girlfriend. She did get rather delusional though. I felt sorry for her/

Sekai - As much to blame as Makoto for the course of events. Still, I loved her personality. She was a better match for him from the get go. Shame she hid it, and sent mixe signals. The flower analogy was great.

Otome - A bully sure, but her cute and determined side won me. She didn't entirely do anything wrong, given Makoto's, "I'm not dating her" mentality. Of course, the deal maker was walking away when she saw what a scum bag he'd become.

Setsuna - amusig, and loyal to her friend to a fault. Really what Sekai should've acted like. The only downside was the sex deal and not telling Sekai about France.

The others were interesting too. One hell of a mean school though.