View Single Post
Old 2012-07-10, 14:34   Link #183
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
How is it that every thread turns into a discussion about Mari Okada these days? People are aware there's a thread for her in General Anime right?

Having no idea what Mari Okada has to do with Sailor Moon I'll just talk about the fights in the original. I definitely do remember noticing how formulaic it was even back in the very early 90's when I wasn't even really aware of such things. There's already a numbered list above, but here's how I remember most episodes going:

1. Episode starts, evil boss person orders some henchman to go steal macguffin, henchman creates monster to disguise itself as human and go steal macguffin

2. switch scene to Earth with cast going about they're daily business and interacting until by sheer coincidence they happen to come across the target in question who has some sort of trial they need to overcome.

3. target gets attacked by monster, it becomes personal for one memeber of sailor cast.

4. transformation sequence taking up roughly 2-3 minutes

5. Fight starts, senshi are immediately and summarily smacked down and all hope seems lost until Tuxedo Mask throws his rose and gives romantic speech to Sailor Moon and co. urging them to fight on

6. Senshi use their special attacks in various combinations to stun the monster and sailor moon finishes it off with whatever particular finisher attack is in the season.

7. Target returns to normal daily life having found the resolve to face whatever trial it was that was plaguing them never to be seen again.

I found the episodes that focused more on recurring characters and which had some sort of conflict between the sides to be among the better ones. Also if I had to rank the seasons I'd say it goes something like S>Stars>Classic>SuperS>R. Just never really got all that much into R and it always felt like more of an interlude between the considerably darker S the same way Super S did for the also fairly dark Stars. It shouldn't really come as a surprise that both seasons featured Chibi Usa very prominently and while I never had the same issues with her as others I just never really got into her whole story arc about being from the future and unable to return.