View Single Post
Old 2012-06-26, 12:01   Link #1304
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
On that note, I will never understand people who rewatch the same episode many times in a row. Don't you get bored watching the same scenes again and again? I'd rather spend my limited time watching new shows, but that's just me...
Well, this is sort of like asking why I have art hanging on my wall; don't I get bored just looking at the same thing? But if you have an emotional connection to the subject matter, it can still be beautiful no matter how many times you experience it. That's anime as art. If it's just something to be ingested quickly before we move on to the next thing, are we really appreciating it as art, or is it just a transient experience soon forgotten? This is also why I collect anime on DVD and Blu-Ray; they're mementos that mark the connection I've made to shows I love. This show had a number of episodes and scenes that I consider beautiful from an artistic point of view -- the combination of visuals, music, and voice acting come together in a way that's both memorable and remarkable. So particularly for those episodes and scenes, rewatching it is its own reward.

Of course, it's not like I just sit there with the same thing on loop either -- I don't have very much time to watch anime as it is. But I'd rather take that limited time focusing on things I enjoy, rather than just trying to get in as many new experiences as possible. (I only generally watch a few anime each season, and they're all favourites. If I don't love it, I just won't get around to watching it.) I'm not trying to say that the latter approach is wrong by any means... but it just isn't my way.

I would also be remiss if I didn't point out that you've spent a lot more time discussing the episode here on this forum than it would have taken you to rewatch it.