View Single Post
Old 2008-03-02, 19:31   Link #1272
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
But looking back at my post, I thought it felt awkward if I phrased it "The transgender above who is also a singer" and at that time, I didn't know that transgender can also be an adjective, too (just checked). But if I replace transgender to something like a dancer, which I don't think there's an adjective to describe it (dancing just doesn't fit), what would a different way to phrase it be? Of course, the "feeling awkward" part doesn't even fit as an excuse, and I'm not so sure that there's a definite answer to this, so feel free to ignore this question.
What are you trying to describe, exactly? If you are talking about a singer who is a transgendered individual, you would say the transgender singer (or transgendered singer). If you're talking about a transgender individual who is singing, then you'd say the singing transgendered person (to just refer to someone as "transgender" seems like it could be slightly rude).

If you're discussing a singer who also dances, then you could say the dancer-singer (on the web people seem to prefer slashes, so you could also type it out as dancer/singer). "Dancing singer" could also work but it depends on context. For example:

1) Did you see the dancing singer?
2) That person is a famous dancing singer.

In 1) it sounds like there was a singer who was dancing, but in 2) it sounds like there is a singer who also dances as part of his/her trade (a combined description of the person's occuption/activities, as opposed to describing the action of a singer). I feel like I'm misunderstanding what you're confused over, though.